Crossing the Vertical Border - Reality

        Although there are artists who work with themes or issues that are very disturbing for others, I find that the experience and flow of thoughts that come from them is important to understand. Of course, I would never force or expose anyone to undergo such themes or issues, such as those present in Thelma Jiménez-Anglada’s work. Out of respect, I will avoid going into detail to avoid disturbing or offending anyone. 

        The topic that Jiménez-Anglada’s work touches on is one I’ve been exposed to previously. I’ve researched a few articles and locations along the border, heard descriptions through close connections, observed photographs, and through other means have been exposed to this. It is truly a disturbing topic, but one thing to remember is that it is reality and there have been means of masking this reality on the US side of the border. It is truly sad as the on the opposite side, the migrants are exposed to many difficulties, tragedies, and sadly, many deaths. This isn’t we’re things even begin and it gets deeper the more one does research. 

        There are a few writings on the walls of the gallery that were disturbing to read and even just think of the situation the migrants go through. Just to make the titles of three that stood out to me: Medias Aguas, Mexicali, and Tijuana. During the talk, there was one specific photograph that I kept looking at, that captivated me and really felt expressed so much about the issues discussed.

Two Doves flutter in Casa Librè’s Attic, by Edu Ponces

        This photograph stood out to me and the most. The location in which it was taken, Casa Libré, where undocumented minors are situated. They are provided with room and board, the "facilities are ample and in good condition" but without funds it is difficult to keep it in better conditions. What stood to me the most is that the doves are signs of hope, purity, guidance, and much more. However, they are trapped in this room that has not been used due to it’s poor condition. The contrast of black and white adds to the photograph, bringing within me sadness and signs of no hope.

        I am glad I attended the talk. It opened up my mind to exploring these issues through art and have motivated me to experiment with art forms in relation to this issue at hand, or similar issues.

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Archived Project Progress 2

Archived Project Progress 1

Project Progress - Final